Dealing with a hurricane loss can be scary and intimidating. That’s why many people choose to use a public adjuster to handle their claim. However, finding the right public adjuster can be just as scary and intimidating as the initial loss, especially right after a hurricane when scammers rush to the area. How can you know that you are getting a real public adjuster and one who knows how to handle Florida hurricane loss?
Here are 6 things you can do to be sure that you receive the help you need.
1. Ask to See Their License
Never use a public adjuster who is not licensed to practice in Florida. Even though it is illegal to do, some unscrupulous people will try to take advantage of hurricane loss victims. Having a Florida public adjuster’s license means the public adjuster:
- Took the training to be a public adjuster
- Has bond insurance
- Continues to take classes to keep their license up-to-date
If a public adjuster will not show you their license, then do not work with that public adjuster. It’s as simple as that.
2. Find Out How the Firm Works
There are different ways that public adjusting firms handle the claim process. For instance, you may work with one person from start to finish. On the other hand, you may deal with different adjusters as your claim moves through different parts of the process. Although both are acceptable, you need to find a firm that feels comfortable to you. If you prefer a one-on-one solution, then look for a firm that offers that.
3. Ask for Referrals
One of the best ways to find a public adjuster is to ask friends or family who they used when handling a hurricane loss claim. Once given a name, find out how satisfied they were with the firm and how the claim was handled.
Of course, you may not know anyone who has used a public adjuster. If that’s the case, ask the public adjuster under consideration for some referrals – then contact these referrals. Ask them questions like:
- Were you satisfied with the length of time it took to get the claim settled?
- Did the public adjuster firm communicate well with you?
- Was the claim payout what you expected?
- Would you work with them again if you had another hurricane loss?
4. Make Sure They Have Experience
You will also want to determine if the firm has experience and/or experts in hurricane loss. Hurricane loss is a specific type of loss with a lot of moving parts, from wind, water, flood, and property claims.
The first thing to do is perform internet research on the public adjuster. Check out their website to see if they mention hurricane experience. If they claim to have experience, you’ll need to verify this by asking questions, such as:
- How many years experience do you have with hurricane claims?
- On average, how many Florida hurricane claims do you do each year?
- Have you ever worked with my insurance company? How has that experience been? Were there any issues that concerned you?
5. Determine Their Communication Style
Although the point of hiring a public adjuster is to let them handle your claim, you still want to know that they will communicate with you. Determine such things as:
- How often do they share updates?
- What method of communication do they use? Text, phone calls, emails, letters, etc
- How long does it take to respond to requests?
- Will you have a direct number to call?
You want to be sure that you feel comfortable with how they will communicate with you during the claims process.
6. Do Your Due Diligence
It’s up to you to pick a public adjuster that is experienced, professional, and works well with you. Be sure that you always:
- Check for a valid license for Florida
- Check the provided references
- Read online reviews
If you’ve suffered hurricane damage, the professionals at Aftermath Adjusters & Consulting, LLC are here to help. We are licensed in Florida and have adjusters who are experienced helping our clients with hurricane loss claims. Our goal is to help you negotiate the best possible payout. Contact us today!