Having the right insurance will help you if you have to file a homeowner’s insurance claim. Whether you’ve had damage to your home, damage to personal belongings, someone hurt themselves on your property, or you can no longer live in your home, your homeowners insurance will help. Here are some tips for filing the four different types of claims.

Filing a Claim for Damage to Your Home

If you have damage to the structure of your home, then you will need to file a homeowners insurance claim under the dwelling portion of your policy. This part of the policy covers:

  • Walls
  • Floors
  • Roof
  • Foundation
  • Attached structures
  • Built-in appliances such as HVAC or water heater

To start the claim, let your insurance company know about the event and the damages. Photos of the damages will strengthen your claim.

NOTE: If you have a dwelling insurance claim, you must take actions to prevent further damage. If you do not take steps to prevent continued damage, your claim may be denied.

Filing a Claim for Damage to Personal Belongings

To get started, you will provide:

  • A list of damaged property
  • Photos
  • Supplemental documentation, such as receipts

You will either receive a payment based on the specific items lost or a lump sum payment based on the limit of your policy, depending on the extent of your loss. The best way to guarantee payment in personal belongings loss is to provide a detailed inventory of your belongings damaged.

NOTE: Cars damaged in an event are not covered. Contact your auto insurance provider to file a claim for damages to your vehicle.

Filing a Claim for Liability

If someone gets hurt on your property, be sure to notify your insurance company. They will want the following information about the incident:

  • Details of the event
  • Time and place
  • Name and contact info of the injured party
  • Damages or injuries incurred
  • Name and contact info of witnesses

If you learn that a lawsuit is being filed against you, contact your insurance company immediately. If you’ve received litigation documentation, forward this to your insurance company.

Submitting for Additional Living Expenses (ALE) 

For covered events that make your home uninhabitable, your additional living expenses (ALE) coverage will help pay for temporary living costs. These can include:

  • Hotel
  • Rent
  • Gas for traveling
  • Moving costs
  • Food costs

Keep in mind that most ALE coverages have a cap, typically set to 30% of your coverage limit for a home and 50% for a condo. Save all your receipts to submit when your claim is finalized.

NOTE: In some cases, you may be able to receive an advanced payment to help with ALE expenses.

When filing any homeowners insurance claim, it will be helpful to have a public adjuster on your side. Aftermath Adjusters & Consulting will help you determine your damages, file the claim with a detailed, accurate report, and work with your insurance company to get you the payout you deserve. Call us today.